Saturday, May 20, 2006

Running

I've decided that I do need to get fit again. I had all these good intentions about getting into good habits when I started my new job in February; but then I got pneumonia, and my doctor gave me a stern lecture about not exercising until I was totally better. It's been nearly three months now, so I thought I could risk a run this morning (having tested myself by running all the way to the ferry two mornings ago). It probably would have been a new personal worst time if I'd timed myself, but I'm glad I did it.

Every time I go for a morning run, I remember why I like it. The harbour was as still as glass; the runners and walkers were polite and smiled at each other; and when I got back home I felt energised for the day.

In the past, when I've been working ridiculous hours away from home, I've always made a point of going for a run in the morning. It seems to energise me more than an extra half hour's sleep would. But I can never get into that habit at home. I can't think of anything that'll change that now, but I am going to try and go for a run at least one out of two mornings on the weekends again.

4 Comments:

At 12:18 pm, Blogger Tjilpi said...

Now that winter is here I'm riding my bike to work. Takes all of 7 minutes but my head and heart know that something is different.

 
At 8:19 pm, Blogger Jennifer said...

I've been thinking about riding my bike to work too, but that needs logistics (lights on the bike, for starters). For me it's about 15 minutes - definitely worth it.

If I read a few more of elsewhere's cycling stories, I might even do it!

 
At 11:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Elsewhere's cycling is crazy!)

 
At 1:36 pm, Blogger Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Im not a runner but I know what you mean about getting moving in the morning. It's one of the things I like about being home with kids: we can go out and play at 9am.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home